Jefferson County Seal
Jefferson County,
Est. 1818
Photo of Rockford Beach Photo of Admin Building Photo of Annex Building Photo of Court House Photo of Soccer Game Photo of Detention Center Photo of Justice Center Photo of Law Enforcement Memorial Photo of Child Fishing Photo of Sheriff Dept Jail Photo of Sheriff East Zone building Photo of Sheriff North Zone building
Home  County Offices  County Clerk/Election Authority  County Clerk/Administration  Board of Equalization
Board of Equalization


Board of Equalization


     All general questions regarding real estate or personal property taxes

 should be directed to the Department of the County Assessor.


 For questions regarding  real estate call (636) 797-5466

 or for personal property call (636) 797-5343.


Click here for the Department of the County Assessor


Taxpayers who DO NOT reach an agreement with the Assessor and want to appeal must:


Contact the Department of the County Clerk at (636) 797-6250.

Mail the completed appeal form to PO Box 100, Hillsboro, MO 63050.

Appeals postmarked by the 3rd Monday in June will be accepted.


***UPDATED December 2018---The Board of Equalization has extended

        the deadline to appeal to the 2nd Monday in July 2019 in

        accordance with 137.385 RSMO***


Note:  All appeal forms must be completed and received

          by the Department of the County Clerk before any

          hearing will be scheduled.


Any forms that are NOT properly completed or any form that is omitted

that is required to be submitted may cause that particular appeal to be

dismissed by the Board of Equalization.


Any person who wishes to distribute written testimony or evidence

on his appeal should prepare Five (5) copies of any documents.

One (1) copy for each member of the Board of Equalization,

One (1) copy for the Secretary of the Board, and

One (1) copy for the Assessor's Office.



Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 137;


Assessment and Levy of Property Taxes


Appeal from assessment--form--time for filing.


137.385. Any person aggrieved by the assessment of his property

may appeal to the county board of equalization and the forms to

be used for this purpose SHALL be furnished by the county clerk.

Such appeal shall be lodged with the county clerk as secretary of the

board of equalization before the 3rd Monday in June; provided that

the board may in its discretion extend the time for filing such appeals.


****UPDATED December 2017---The Board of Equalization has extended

        the deadline to appeal to the 2nd Monday in July 2018 in

        accordance with 137.385 RSMO.***



The members of the Jefferson County Board of Equalization are:



Chuck Telle, Chairman-term expires January 04, 2022

Rich Bay,  Member-term expires January 01, 2021

Karla Fincher, Member-term expires January 01, 2020


Taxpayers are welcome to attend any Board meeting.  Any correspondence from the taxpayer to the Board MUST be done through the Secretary of the Board of Equalization.  It is inappropriate for any taxpayer to contact the members of the Board outside of an official Board meeting.



Contact information for the Board:


Board of Equalization

C/O County Clerk

PO BOX 100

Hillsboro MO 63050


Telephone:  636-797-6250



Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 138;


Board of Equalization Qualifications:


Board of Equalization members are restricted from being in

certain positions as local officials or school board members

in Charter counties.  Please read the Missouri state statute below:


138.011. No member of any board of equalization in any county

with a charter form of government shall be an official of any city,

town, or village in the county, a member of any school board in the

county, or an employee of any school district within the county.

Each member shall have some level of experience as determined

by the governing authority of the county as a real estate broker,

real estate appraiser, home builder, property developer, lending officer,

or investor in real estate before their appointment to the board.


For more information regarding the appointment of members of

the Board of Equalization please contact the office of the

County Executive at (636) 797-5400.


Contact the Department of the County Clerk at (636) 797-6250

for meeting agendas and minutes.