Jefferson County Seal
Jefferson County,
Est. 1818
Photo of Rockford Beach Photo of Admin Building Photo of Annex Building Photo of Court House Photo of Soccer Game Photo of Detention Center Photo of Justice Center Photo of Law Enforcement Memorial Photo of Child Fishing Photo of Sheriff Dept Jail Photo of Sheriff East Zone building Photo of Sheriff North Zone building
Home  County Offices  County Services and Code Enforcement  Code Enforcement




A brochure has been prepared with an overview of local permitting requirements.  Following are applications to accompany permit submittals for the Code Enforcement Division:


Permit Applications






Septic System

Manufactured Home



Commercial Change of Occupancy

First Time Homebuyer

Floodplain Development



Swimming Pool - Hot Tub 

Permit Application Checklists

The following are checklists describing the documentation and illustrations each project requires:


Commercial Construction

Commercial Change of Occupancy

Residential Construction


Decks and Porches

Retaining Wall

Solar Panel

Swimming Pool/Hot Tub

Utility Building/Garage 

Fireworks Tent

Manufactured Home



Why do I need a building permit?

You need to obtain a building permit for many reasons. A building permit ensures that your structure is in compliance with the building code and meets the minimum building standard. Building codes are rules that are intended to make buildings safe for the occupants that occupy the structure. Insurance companies value building codes, when updated codes are in place this usually means the buildings are more safe, stronger, and more likely to withstand severe weather events lessening the amount of loss to property. Building codes can safeguard public health by regulating wastewater and other potential health hazards that may infiltrate into your neighborhood.


When don't I need a building permit?

  1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
  2. Fences not over 8 feet high.
  3. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  4. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  5. Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below.
  6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  7. Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
  8. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a one or two-family dwelling.
  9. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  10. Decks not exceeding 200 square feet in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4
  11. Gas or Electric hot water heater replacement. 


Repairs and maintenance: A permit shall not be required for minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the  connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.


Portable heating, cooking or clothes drying appliances. fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid. The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe; provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code. The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

Emergency Repairs 

Where equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the building official.

 Ordinary Repairs 

Application or notice to the building official is not required for ordinary repairs to structures, replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles. Such repairs shall not include the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical or other work affecting public health or general safety.