Becoming a Candidate
Election Year 2022
April 5, 2022 General Municipal Election
- First day to file is December 7, 2021 at 8am (RSMo 115.127.5)
- Last day to file is December 28, 2021 at 5pm (RSMo 115.127.5)
The April General Municipal Election Candidate filing deadline is 5pm on December 28, 2021 at the County Clerk’s Office in the Jefferson County Administration Building. Please be advised that the Administration Building will be open until 5pm on Tuesday, December 28, 2021 for candidate filings. Candidates must use the front door to enter the building.
Filings will be accepted at the County Clerk's Office for Jefferson County 9-1-1 Dispatch, Big River Ambulance, Joachim Plattin Ambulance, North Jefferson County Ambulance, Rock Township Ambulance, Valle Ambulance, Festus Special Road District and Hillsboro Special Road District.
All other filings will be accepted at their respective districts.
August 2, 2022 Primary Election
Candidates for county officers must file in person with the Jefferson County Clerk except for members of the armed services on active duty and disabled persons who may file by certified mail. Persons eligible to file by certified mail should contact the County Clerk's Office for further details.
Offices to file in the County Clerk's Office for the August 2, 2022 Primary Election: RSMo115.353
- Associate Circuit Judges Division 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
- County Council Members Districts 1, 3, 5, 7
- County Executive
- Circuit Clerk
- County Clerk
- Recorder of Deeds
- Prosecuting Attorney
- Township Committeemen and Committeewomen
- First day to file is the last Tuesday in February - February 22, 2022 at 8am (RSMo 115.349.2)
- Last day to file is the last Tuesday in March - March 29, 2022 at 5pm (RSMo 115.349.1)
Each candidate will sign a Declaration of Candidacy (provided by the County Clerk's Office) that if elected the candidate will qualify. Qualifications can be found in the Missouri Revisor of Statutes, the Constitution of Missouri and Home Rule Charter.
First day candidate filers will select a number by random drawing to determine ballot placement on the primary ballot. After the first day to file, candidates will be placed on the ballot in the order of their filing. (RSMo 115.395.2)
Documents Required for Filing
- Proof of Identity: Missouri Driver's License, Voter ID Card, Birth Certificate or other form of identification. RSMo 115.355.4
- Candidate's Affidavit of Tax Payments Form 5120: A copy of an affidavit filed with the Department of Revenue affirming that the candidate is not currently aware of any delinquency in the filing or payment of any state income taxes, personal property taxes, real property taxes on the place of residence, as stated on the declaration of candidacy, or is not a past or present corporate officer of any fee office that owes any taxes to the state, other that those taxes which my be in dispute. You may obtain a copy of this form in the County Clerk's Office or at: http://dor.mo.gov/tax/candidates (RSMo 115.306)
- Paid receipt from Political Party: A representative from each political party will be present on the first day of candidate filing to obtain a receipt for paid filing fees.
- Filing fees for a County Office is $100 - RSMo 115.357.1 (2)
- There are no filing fees for Township Committee persons - RSMo 115.611.2(3)
- The last date to withdraw is the 11th Tuesday prior to the election without a court order is May 17, 2022. (RSMo 115.359.1)
- The last date to withdraw is the 8th Tuesday prior to the election with a court order is June 7, 2022. (RSMo 115.359.2)
- The candidate must withdraw with the official who accepted such candidate's declaration of candidacy.