How to Become a Notary Public
To become a Notary Public, please do the following:
1. Fill out the Notary Public application form which can be obtained on-line.
2. Fill out the form for a written Notary Public training course.
You may obtain these forms on line at www.sos.mo.gov/business/commissions
or you may contact the County Clerk’s office at 636-797-5486 to
receive a Missouri Notary Handbook.
3. Upon receiving the letter from the Secretary of State confirming the commission,
the applicant must apply for a $10,000.00 Notary Surety Bond.
There are different ways to get this bond:
1. The applicant's company will apply for one. The applicant must provide
the employer with a copy of the letter confirming the commission.
2. The applicant may contact one of the many bonding companies that have
sent information to the applicant upon filing to become a Notary Public.
If the application is submitted in this manner, fax the bonding company a copy
of the letter from the Secretary of State's office. The bonding company
must have the information to issue the bond. The Secretary of State's
office DOES NOT send this information to the bonding company.
3. After receipt of the bond, call the County Clerk’s office
at 636-797-5486 to make confirm the commission
has been received by this office.
Our office is located at 729 Maple Street, Hillsboro MO 63050
For Frequently Asked Questions about becoming a notary please click below.
Frequently Asked Questions Administration