What is a tax waiver?
A tax waiver indicates a specific person, business or corporation does not owe any personal property taxes for a specified tax year. A tax waiver is only used to license a vehicle or obtain a business license. You may be entitled to a waiver if you are one of the following:
- A new resident to the state.
- This is the first vehicle you have ever owned.
- You did not own any personal property on January 1st of the prior year.
- You are in the military and your home of record is not Missouri.
In order to qualify, we must also see your vehicle registration and identification. It may be possible to fax or email your information to our office to have your waiver processed. Please contact our office for complete details.
How to apply for a tax waiver.
Application for a waiver can be made in person, by U.S. mail, by fax or by email. If by fax or email the application should be made at least 24 hours prior to needing the waiver. The waiver application can be printed from this website. After completing the application it may be brought to the office in person, mailed, faxed, or scanned and returned by email, along with the items listed below. If the waiver application is made in person you will be able to leave the building with the waiver in hand. If done by mail, fax or email the waiver may not be available until the following day. Waivers done by mail, fax or email may be faxed to participating license offices upon your request at the license office. Waivers not picked up in person or faxed to the license office will have to be obtained from the Department of the County Collector by calling 636-797-5406.
- Completed Tax Waiver Application
- Front and back of the title or the title application. The back of the title must be filled out by the purchaser.
- Drivers license (If an out of state drivers license you must provide proof of your physical address)
- Current phone number
- Email address (optional)
- Reason for the waiver (i.e. first vehicle owned, new resident, etc.)
- If applying for a leased vehicle waiver you must provide the physical address of the lessee.
- If applying for a business vehicle waiver you must provide your Missouri Secretary of State filing.
To obtain a waiver in person, come to the Department of the County Assessor located in the lower level of the Administration Center, 729 Maple Street, Hillsboro, Missouri. Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.
By U.S. mail: Department of the County Assessor
PO Box 100
Hillsboro MO 63050
By fax to: 636-797-5083 Attn Waiver
By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Attn Waiver
If you have questions you can contact the Department of the County Assessor by calling 636-797-5343.